Thursday, January 31, 2013

Nightmares

Nightmares. We all have them and in my experience they are totally bizarre, nonsensical and usually occur when I'm too hot. Just the other day I dreamt that I was in a run down Restaurant barefoot and when I went to the bathroom, green alien slime inched it's way toward my feet. I had to stick my feet, one at a time in the sink to wash away the green ooze. Bizarre.  No idea where that came from. It was like a bad 'B movie' from Hollywood.

However, nightmares can be a fabulous tool in your writing. I used it to add tension and foresight in my fantasy, 'The Treasures of Carmelidrium,' and had a lot of fun with it. In critique there was a member who was adamantly opposed to all dreams and nightmares, however, he didn't write fantasy but mainstream. So I guess genre is important when you think about nightmares. I know other writers who dream so vividly that they start a new manuscript based on what they dream.

How do you handle nightmares?

(I'm still going to numerous meetings with my daughter and don't have a lot of blogging time. I hope to be back soon and to reveal a new book cover for 'The Treasures of Carmelidrium.'

Nancy

8 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

I dedicated my second book to nightmares, it was based on a nightmare. 150,000 words from a few seconds in time.

I have amazing nightmares and yes I use them in writing all the time.

I can wake the entire house with my screams!
It's why I don't 'watch' horror.

Unknown said...

I haven't been able to remember my dreams for a long while, so I've not really had any nightmares. It's a shame, I love waking from the dreamworld and trying to piece together what it all means.

Jamie

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nancy .. thankfully not one of the things I do or have ... good luck with all the things going on and particularly getting your daughter sorted out ... all the best - Hilary

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Yolanda
I'm with you, no horror.

Hi Jamie
What a shame. Dreams are fun in so many ways.

Hi Hilary
Thanks for being so loyal to stop by all the time. I appreciate it.

Thank you all for your comments.
Nancy

Carolyn V said...

Nightmares are great for writers. But I hate them. I usually have to make sure I'm really awake after a nightmare.

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Carolyn
Yeah, the dreams that I hate are the ones that feel very real.
Nancy

Unknown said...

I sure wish I could use my dreams and nightmares for something useful, but they're just not great writing material. I can't wait to see your cover! :-)

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Lexa
Thanks, I can't wait to show it off.
Nancy