Wednesday, June 7, 2017

IWSG June 2017; Did you ever quit? And, Micro-Robots

Insecure Writers Support Group is a huge blog hop started by Alex J. Cavanaugh and post on the 1st Wednesday of every month. As the name implies, many of us our insecure. Feel free to join our little group…ah…or big group, and post your insecurities and or encouragement. Just click on this link to visit other blogs and or join. Well, I recommend you do both. And no, you don’t have to visit everyone. The recommendation is to visit 10.

I missed May because my husband had surgery that day. He’s doing great.

Question of the Month:

June 7 Question: Did you ever say “I quit”? If so, what happened to make you come back to writing?

Years ago, I joined an in-person critique group. We met once a week and read our work out loud at a book store and then braced for the critique. Growing up, I was switched from my left hand to my right which gave me a learning disability known as Dyslexia. It wasn’t as severe as those born with this condition, but it still played havoc with my ability to spell, read and learn English Grammar.
No doubt you can imagine what my chapter looked like when I went home. I re-wrote chapters so many times I lost track. So, it was tempting to quit. But…I had stories and I needed to write. So here I am, a published author.

On a different note, I watch Ancient Aliens and often come away with ideas to include in my stories. It’s great if you need a magical element and you want something different from the norm. This week’s show was all about what doctors and scientists are working on currently. Of course, in between showing us this and that, the guys claim aliens did the same thing in the past.

So, I thought I’d share a snippet with you, because that show this week gave me a ton of ideas, none of which will work for fantasy.

If your old enough or if you love old movies, you may remember the one called, ‘Voyager,’ where a team of scientist enter a ship which is shrunk and injected into the body of a man who was dying. Well…they can do that now minus the people. Micro-robots that will attack disease instead of the need for surgery.

Nancy


Did you quit and come back to writing? Do you like the idea of micro-robots infiltrating your body? Can you think of a story that suits this technology? Is it horror? Humor? SciFi or some other genre. Let me know in the comments. Thanks for coming by.

8 comments:

Laura Clipson said...

I imagine Ancient Aliens is a fantastic show to watch for inspiration, I'd never thought of it before. Glad you didn't give up!

Jen said...

I love Ancient Aliens. It's a guilty pleasure if mine. It's so easy to want to give up, especially when we have a physical or mental challenge that makes it difficult for us to communicate our stories. I have fibromyalgia and another Auto Immune disease which makes the physical act of writing painful at times. Oh I've wanted to just quit and take up something easy...like reading books attached to the ceiling so I dont have to move my arms at all! But the point is, sometimes our challenges make us want it all the more. So I write through the pain and the brain fog and the mood swings. I write to make sense of myself and to chink through the darkness that wants to encroach. We have to keep going in spite ( or to spite) our challenges. If we refuse to give up we will come out on the other side, stronger and more confident. Happy IWSG day! - Jen

Crystal Collier said...

I was SO relieved to hear your hubby's surgery went well. Life is crazy enough without all the stress that kind of stuff brings, eh?

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nancy - yes I was glad to read your hubby's surgery has gone well ... take care of the both of you as he heals. Oh gosh switching writing hands as a kid -no wonder things were a little pear-shaped ... but am glad you're writing and are published ... keep on writing ... cheers Hilary

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Laura
Yes, Ancient Aliens really is fun. I find myself talking back at them. Very few things make me do that.

Hi Jen
I'm very sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia. Perhaps the computer program, Dragon Speak would work for you.

Hi Crystal
Yes, it is a relief.

Hi Hilary
Thanks for your thoughts.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you can fight through Dyslexia and still succeed, then that should give a lot of people hope.

N. R. Williams said...

I'm stubborn. Thanks Alex.
Nancy

logistics service in india said...

Top 5 Characteristics of the Best Logistics Companies in India
How To Improve Your Supply Chain Management nice sites