Wednesday, July 5, 2017

IWSG July 5, 2017

It’s the 1st Wednesday in July. Half the year has gone by. No matter what you believe, this has been one of the most contentious years in recent memory. So, time for a breather and to visit a few of us bloggers as we share our insecurities, or encouragement. Yes, you have arrived at July’s Insecure Writer’s Support Group. Well, I’m one of them anyway.

If you don’t know, this group was started by Alex J. Cavanaugh and has been running for several years. So, take a look at my post and then visit a few others. To do so go here.

July 5 Question: What is one valuable lesson you've learned since you started writing?

Hmmm…as I sit here contemplating the question I start wondering about life lessons in general.

I don’t think I’ve learned any particular lessons since I began to write unless they are related to writing. Rather, the lessons I’ve learned throughout my life have made me a better writer. We will only talk about one here since I need to keep it within the length of a blog post.

I have always been a kind and generous person. People take advantage of people like me. I’ve also been bullied throughout my life. Even now at 65. So, I have studied the motivations of others simply so I could understand why people do what they do. That has translated into my ability to write believable characters and to ensure that no two characters are alike in my stories.

I once read a romance and fell in love with the writer’s talent. When I picked up her next book, it was like a carbon copy of the first in a different time and place. I never bought another book she wrote. So being able to write different characters with different motivations is a must. If you want the same characters than write a sequel with those characters in it. I write sequels, but the main characters are different.

How about you? What have you learned? O
r what do you love about your favorite book?


Nancy

7 comments:

Laura Clipson said...

That's such an important thing to learn, that must have been so frustrating buying that second book and it being basically the same as the first. Like you said, if it's a different story it should have different characters as well.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good point. I never wanted to be an author who just coughed up the same story in a different setting.

Chrys Fey said...

Understanding people and how different we all are can sure help us to create a lot of different believable characters.

Denise Covey said...

The more we live the better our writing can be. I have a writer friend who's found her niche writing anti bullying books for children.
When some authors find a formula that works they milk it for all it's worth. Which is why some romance authors have published tons of books.
I'm not posting this month Nancy. Hopefully see you at WEP in August.

Denise

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks all for coming by. I hope to be there in August too. I'm losing a lot of valuable time to these darn migraines.
Nancy

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nancy - I get frustrated with similar things ... but sometimes when one is reading early in life ... it makes sense and enjoyable. Now - I hate it and don't pick that kind of book up. I love interesting unique content - good luck as you pursue your dream... cheers Hilary

logistics service in india said...

Air Cargo Logistics
Train Cargo Services nice sites