Wednesday, October 4, 2017

IWSG Oct. 2017

The 1st Wednesday of October. I’m tempted to talk about time flying but that would be cliché. Instead, I’ll mention that Alex J. Cavanaugh start the group years ago and I’ve lost count on how many years exactly. I really appreciated that because at the time I was going through a hard time and I had read an un-sympatic blog degrading authors who had a little emotional sensitivity. I felt understood. So, thank you Alex.

To read other post go here.

We moved last month which means I’ve gotten almost nothing done. I did manage to finish a chapter in my new WIP to keep my critique partners busy but no editing in book 2. I’ll catch up by the end of Oct. and then off to my editor. Money is always an issue for me, so I have to juggle my writer life around my personal life.

The question of the month is: Have you ever slipped any of your personal information into your characters, either by accident or on purpose?

This is more complicated than it might seem. I can honestly say that none of my characters in any of my stories are real people. That is deliberate. However, I experience life and along with that, I’ve met a lot of people. In order to bring 3 dimensions to my characters, some of what I feel or have experienced is used. Imagine a person who is so isolated that they never come into contact with the world. Would their stories be interesting? Would you fall in love or on the flip side, hate one of their characters? I don’t think so.

Therefore, the answer to the question is, of course. But what I add is calculated and deliberate. None that sounds positively evil. I promise, it isn’t.
How about you? If you’re a writer do you write about real people? If you’re a reader, would you want to read a book with no emotion?

Nancy


Oct. is spook month. Return on Oct. 18, 2017 for my Dark and Scary story in the WEP bloghop. Here’s the link. You can read about it and sign up to write something. I’d love to see what you share.


7 comments:

Fundy Blue said...

Congratulations on finishing any writing while moving, NR. That's not an easy thing to do. I, too, thought that October's question was more complicated than it seemed. My experiences in life do impact all aspects of my writing, including my characters, but I think they're transformed into something new as I write.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nancy - moving is challenging at the best of times ...so well done on now getting sorted out, being able to write a bit more and settle into your new routine - all the very best - cheers Hilary

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks you Fundy and Hilary
Nancy

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Moving is never fun.
A story by someone with no human contact would be really weird.

N. R. Williams said...

A robot story by a mechanical man. That could be a horror and humorous fiction tale.
Nancy

D.G. Hudson said...

Well, I think I'll pass on that trip, I don't like it hot. . .Very well written, and I expected those descending upon her to be zombies, but I guess they were the devil's cohorts.
It's too bad she resorted to what she saw as her only way out, but there are always consequences to our decisions. A great entry!

logistics service in india said...

logistics companies in delhi one of the most preferred Logistic Companies in India.
logistics company in delhi