Wednesday, November 1, 2017

IWSG November 2017

Time for the Insecure Writers Support Group, (IWSG) As we forage through toward the end of the year, 2017, I'd like to thank Alex J. Cavanaugh for starting this group which has grown by leaps and bounds. Way to go Alex. To read what other writers have said go here.

The question of the month relates to NaNoWriteMonth. I have never participated do to health issues. I simply can't promise to scribble something out everyday. Therefore, I will post about Halloween.

Why? You ask? Because I have some Australian friends who have told me they don't do Halloween. So this post is for you, my Aussie pals.

Today's Halloween with costumes and candy started sometime in the 1930's here in America. It used to be a night of tricks and often teenagers would take to the streets and vandalize property. In the city that included breaking windows in stores, which was very expensive. So business owners and politicians got together to discuss how they could change that and came up with a night where children dress up and go trick or treating around the neighborhood for candy. They proposed that young people would be so busy doing that, that they wouldn't demolish property. Of course, the businesses could make a profit selling costumes and candy as well. It took awhile to take off but once it did, children across America loved it.

When I was a child in the 1950's, we could accept homemade treats like popcorn balls and caramel apples. In the late 1960's there was a scare that some were putting LSD and razor blades in the candy and so now, the parents of children diligently checked the candy and throw away anything that isn't individually wrapped. The History Channel says that there never was LSD or razor blades in candy. It was "fake" news that scared a lot of people, my mom included.

So there you have it, costumes and candy instead of broken windows.

Do you celebrate Halloween?

Nancy

10 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Nancy - being over here ... they've started to embrace Halloween ... but I've never been involved as such - though leave houses where there's lots of pumpkins, lights and sweets (as we call them around)! Hope you had a fun time .. cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We had to check them, but we still got popcorn balls and homemade cookies in the 70's. Couldn't do that now though.

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Hilary
Halloween is so much fun for kids that I'm glad you're starting to celebrate.
Nancy

Alex
I think it's probably how big the city is. We were in Denver and my little brother had to check his candy.
Nancy

Diane Burton said...

I remember those days of examining our kids' loot (aka candy) and throwing away anything home-made. So sad because someone went to a lot of trouble making the treats. Today, we enjoy the costumes kids wear. Some that are definitely made (not bought) are so clever and imaginative.

N. R. Williams said...

You're right about the costumes, Diane. Thanks for coming by.
Nancy

Crystal Collier said...

I'll take the costumes and candy! =) There were still a few people who handed out homemade treats when I was a kid. Mom and Dad said they had to check the treats first, but they never did. Of course, these days with drug laced gummy bears in middle schools, I'm more concerned about school kids than trick or treaters.

N. R. Williams said...

Wow, I didn't know about the drug laced gummy bears. Scary.
Nancy

erica and christy said...

We still had reports of candy laced with non-kid-friendly foods this year. We don't trick or treat far from home... we get tired pretty quickly anyway. The weather never cooperates! Happy birthday to you today! I know I'm late responding to this blog post! Christy

Clipping Solutions said...


An absolutely unique and fine piece of information. I've never spent that much time reading before but this is really awesome.

clipping path service

Background Removal Service
raster to vector conversion service


logistics service in india said...

logistics companies in india
logistics service nice sites