Thursday, September 30, 2010
You Deserve A Star Today: part 2
Here’s my lovely blog award again, given to me by Jeffrey Beesler. You can check out his blog here.
The ‘You Deserve A Star Today,’ blog award requirements are to re-gift to four blogger friends. I did that on Tuesday. And to share ten things I do to help me with my writing. That’s today’s post.
Ten things I do to help jump start my writing.
1. Pray…yes, I talk to Jesus. I am a born again Christian. If you don’t know what that means I can let you know in an email. If there is a lot of interest I will post about my faith.
2. If I am really stumped about a character’s motivation or a plot twist I talk it over with critique friends and family. Sometimes just talking out loud helps.
3. I sit and start writing something. I have learned that the simple act of writing alone can often get the muse active.
4. Read. I read books on writing, blogs, and other authors.
5. I play the what if game. What if I was stranded in a different world, how would I feel? Who would I meet? What if there was a strange monster, what would it be like? How would it have developed in this world and why? You’d be amazed at the ideas the what if game can generate.
6. Music…I prefer instrumental if I am trying to write.
7. If I am burned out I will sit and stare at T.V. My favorite shows are on Food Network, the History Channel and the Discovery Channel. I learn all types of interesting things that I can put in my writing.
8. If my grandchildren are over, I play with them. They love Mickey Mouse, trains and being read to.
9. I draw, I have been ignoring my art lately but I have plans to really get that aspect of my creativity going again.
10. I want to start an exercise regimen. Only five years ago I couldn’t walk at all due to my hips being injured in a car accident. Now I have two new state of the art hips. I need to start walking. The problem is that I can only stand and walk for about twenty minutes at a time before severe pain sets in. I used to walk for miles and talk to Jesus the whole time. I got a lot of negative things out of my system doing that.
There you have it. What do you do to jump start your writing?