Friday, February 10, 2012

#RomanticFridayWriters: The Long, Cool Aphrodisiac


Romantic Friday Writer's challenge today is to write a flash fiction piece about, The Long, Cool Aphrodisiac. So here goes, I hope you enjoy it.

30 years. Memories of so many hardships suffocated Rhonda, not the least the current economic crisis and her on going health issues. She was thankful that her husband had a job. Thankful that they had health insurance though the high deductible made her think twice before seeking help. The last thing she wanted,  needed, or desired was any romantic interlude with a man who continued to disappoint her with bad decisions that left them both financially ruined. How does one forgive another the same mistakes, over and over again?

He called. Back from his trip, he needed a ride. She'd have to sleep in the same bed, listen to his breathing machine, ignore his sexual overtures.

At the truck stop he declared how tired he was and how hungry.  Rhonda knew that would change once he ate and took a shower. Then it would start. No romance. The man didn't think in those terms. It was just sex to him and she felt cheapened by it.

Dinner was purchased from the dollar menu at the local fast food chain. He scarfed it down.

Rhonda listened to the shower, fidgeting in front of a T.V. show that bored her.

He  emerged, wet and naked, puttering from the bath to the bedroom. Rhonda shut her eyes. He'd grab her inappropriately. He always did, and it hurt.

"I missed you," he said.

Here it comes. Rhonda braced herself and opened her eyes. He held forth a bouquet of brilliant red roses.

"I know things are bad, but I wouldn't trade my life for another. I love you," he said.

Like healing water Rhonda felt his love wash over her. She smiled. He pulled her up, embraced her, and didn't grab the tender flesh that made her woman.

"I want to make love to you because you are the one I love."

Rhonda kissed him. She wanted him as well. Perhaps life wasn't as bad as she imagined.

*

Word count: Just over 300, I counted manually.

I hoped you enjoyed it. Semi autobiographical since my health has been bad, our insurance is awful and we are suffering in the economic downturn. However, this is a fictional story.

For other fabulous Romantic Friday Writer stories go here.

Nancy

P. S. My grandson is 5 years old today. We will be having a little fun.

25 comments:

N. R. Williams said...

Sorry everyone. Immediately after I wrote this and scheduled it for Friday, I lost the internet. This is getting old.
Nancy

Denise Covey said...

Hi Nancy. RFWers will understand. I've put your link up and I hope you get lots of readers for your excellent story. I recognised some autobiographical bits and pieces, especially the health problems. I hope you, like Rhonda, find that life isn't so bad after all.

Happy birthday to your little grandson. I hope the fun and games were/will be great for you all!

Denise

dolorah said...

Happy birthday little guy :)

This story had some unexpected twists to it. Roses and diamonds; can a woman resist either :)

.....dhole

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks Denise
My little grandson had a great day. I appreciate all the late readers and comments. Not your fault, just is what it is.

Hi Donna
It is hard to resist. I love roses and I love them more than diamonds. I've always liked flowers.

Thank you both for stopping by and leaving your comments. They are greatly appreciated.
Nancy

The Poet said...

Hello Nancy.
I could relate to some of the semi autobiographical bits. I've been having a battle with my health insurance since I came out of hospital in September last year!

This was a vivid, poignant read. Nice progression of the story. As you know, I'm the twin brother of love & romance & loved the turn of events at the end...guess I'm just a sucker for happy endings (smile). I'm glad you were able to link this in before closing.

Belated birthday wishes to your grandson. Hope you're feeling better too.
Thanks for sharing.

Love Has Seeped Into My Heart

JANU said...

This is realistically cute.

Unknown said...

Dear Nancy,
Thank you so much for visiting and commenting on my post for this challenge. I like your thoughts that Julia Child's life seems to say that there is someone for everyone. This is one of the aspects of the movie and Julia Child's autobiography that really appeals to me. My mother worried about her height when she was young (she was 5 foot 10 inches in her twenties). I am thinking about giving her a copy of Julia Child's autogiography.

I'm sorry to hear about your health and insurance problems. So much writing-energy is spent on insurance claims and tax returns!

You have written a very moving story that should speak to many people. It's the little things like flowers that can mean a lot in a relationship/marriage. Or knowing the other person well enough to avoid what he or she does not like. Being considerate.

I like your happy end too.

Sorry to hear about your computer problems too. I may have already mentioned this but a couple of weeks ago a virus-attack made me leave my blog URL and move to a new address in a rush. I had to pick up and run, so to speak. I moved all my posts, but nothing in old collections is accessable. If you want to read older texts that I have written for RFW or any other meme you have to search in my archives on my new blog.

C'est la vie!

Best wishes & hugs,
Anna

P.S.

A belated happy-birthday-wish to your grandson!

For the benefit of other readers:
'To Paul and Julia' Anna's RFW challenge No.31

Unknown said...

Dear Nancy,

Here's a link to a word-counting site that I use to save time. You just 'copy-and-paste' your text into their box and click to find out how many words there are.

http://www.wordcalc.com/

Best wishes,
Anna

Unknown said...

Hello again!

Your word count is 325!

Anna

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Andy, Janaki and Anna.
Such warm thoughts. Yes, life tends to distract us from our writing, but it also enriches what we write and how our characters interact. Ahh...to life.
Nancy

Laura said...

Hi Nancy
Sorry I'm late to the story - I only just saw your link. I really enjoyed the story - and the happy ending. I felt that the beginning had some seriously sinister overtones, and so the twist in the tale was a welcome relief - I just hope that it stays better for your character!
Laura x

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks Laura, your comment is appreciated. Glad you liked the story.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

happy Birthday to your grandson. I liked the original theme to this entry it had me hooked throughout.

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Madeleine. I appreciate your comments.
Nancy

Scheherazade said...

Almost overlooked your late entry. It's a nice, down-to-earth story with a great lift at the end. it was an interesting clash between the dread in her mind and the surprising ending.

Denise Covey said...

Hello Nancy. Aren't those RFWer lovely people, coming over to read at this late date? I came across to have another read and to see if anyone else had picked up your late entry. I was so happy I could have cried to see the lovely comments.

I'm hoping you're feeling well, Nancy.

Denise

Celeste Neumann said...

I found this very poignant, Nancy of Australien. I can truly feel the disappointment and unspoken yearning. Too bad these things must be so short. I would have like to have read more.

Kiru Taye said...

Hi Nancy, thanks for stopping and prompting me to read this. I wondered how I'd omitted you. I've been having problems with my internet for the day. It keeps booting me out in the middle of stuff. Glad you're back on again.

I felt her frustration in this story and it helped to build it up because I was waiting to see what he was going to do. I'm glad he found a romantic side in the end. Sometimes life isn't all that bad, after all.

An enjoyable read.

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks Sch...I'm glad you liked the turn of events.

It is wonderful to see everyone Denise. Thanks for catching this and letting everyone know.

Ahh...thanks so much Weiss. It just needed a happy ending.

Seems we are both having internet trouble Kiru. My link died right after I wrote and scheduled this entry before I could get over to RFW and leave a link. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Nancy.
Great little story with an unexpected twist and message——people can change.
Have fun with your grandson and wish him Happy Birthday for me.

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks Leigh
Nancy

M Pax said...

Health bills. Grrr. Enough to make anyone feel less than romantic. Enjoyed the story, Nancy.

Happy birthday to your grandson.

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks M. Pax
Nancy

Adura Ojo said...

I love the way you write, Nancy, and this is no exception. Gripping realism, creative twist and romantic too. (Sorry for the late comment. Thought I was the last one on 'linky').

I do hope you start to have an easier time of it all. Have a lovely weekend.

Adura x

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Adura, such praise. I really appreciate it.
Nancy