Wednesday, June 20, 2012

American Politics: Childhood lessons

. I remember going with my mother as a young child when she voted. The voting machines where placed in a neighbors home down the street. It was memorable to me because of the fancy red curtain that swooshed open and closed. I could have stayed all day playing with that curtain, but I wasn't allowed to touch it. On the way home I asked my mother who she voted for.

"I like Ike," she said.

"Why?"

"He's a General."

That made no sense to me at all. My next voting experience occured four years later. This time it was in my elementary school two blocks from home. One day there was a line of grown-ups leading out the door. I thought they were all in trouble with the Principle but my older brother said, "no. Their here to vote." This was the year of Kennedy and Nixon. Kennedy won of course.

During the next few years, every time Kennedy came on T.V. to give a speech my parents complained about him, though they were both in favor of civil rights. I was home with the flue the day Kennedy was assasinated. I ran into the kitchen expecting my mother to approve since she didn't like him, but she was appaled. The lesson here was tolerance. You may not like a President, or a Congressman, or any other elected offical. You have the right to complain. But if they are killed or die in their term, you are filled with shock and horror. I would have to say that 95% or more of American's feel this way about our leaders.

The turbulant 60's arrived. My older brother and sister where very vocal about politics. I sat quietly at the dinner table while they debated about one Presidential candate or another. Both my syblings had become Democrats though my mother remained a Republican. You can imagine how fierce these debates were. Still, it wasn't until after Nixon's watergate scandel that my mother switched parties. I registered as an independant in college because I didn't want anyone dictating who I should vote for.

Fast forward, and it really feels that way too, the years have flown by. After Bush I knew I'd never vote for another Republican. I then switched and became a Democrat. If a inept Democrat is ever elected I may become an Independant again. You never know. At this point, I am still angry with the Republicans. I recently read a post on Facebook that quoted a famous woman politican. The comment beneath was how true it was. Basically it said that all Democrats took foodstamps, medicaid and other government assistance and where lazy people. I have never benefited from any of those programs to date and I'm not lazy nor ignorant. I would never call my Republican friends lazy or ignorant. I'm an American, we are taught tolerance, some people need help and yes, some take advantage of the system, but don't call those who are needy names.

Okay, so once again I crossed the line a little. I hope you still like me cause I like you.

I think I'm out of fresh ideas for American Politics, so unless something occurs to me I won't be posting about it any more. If you're an American, be sure to vote.

Nancy

5 comments:

Bish Denham said...

Yup, I lived through those times too. The riots of 60's were horrific.

Me, I won't vote for either Dems or Rebs. To me they are opposite sides of the same coin, which means they look and act so much like each other there is no difference. And I refuse to vote for the lesser of two evils, why vote for evil at all?

I vote Libertarian. Some people may think that's a throw-away vote, but I think of it as a protest vote.

Misha Gerrick said...

Yeah... US politics are completely different from South Africa's, but THAT's a topic I never go into.

How have you been?

Writing anything new?

Carolyn V said...

I'm so glad we live somewhere where we have a choice! Even a choice not to vote (I was listening to the radio talk about another country where they are forced to vote). We are very lucky. ;)

Pat Tillett said...

I don't trust a single one of them. I don't vote based on what my political party tells me to. I vote issue specific.

N. R. Williams said...

Hi Bish
I agree with you on every level. I think we need an overhaul of our political system.

Hi Misha
I am so much better. Still will be a good year I think. Yes, currently I'm writing two children's stories, one novella with another in the works when I'm done and the sequel to my fantasy epic.

Hi Carolyn, I so agree with you.

Hi Pat,
I ditto that.

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving a comment.
Nancy