Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blog awards and feasting fest.


Quinn at Seeing, Dreaming, Writing, gave me The Cherry on Top award. Thank you Quinn.

1. Rules, thank the person who gave it to you, post a link to their blog so others can go and look around their site. So everyone, if you haven’t met Quinn yet go on over and check out his blog.

2. Next rule: Answer this question: If I had the chance to go back and change one thing in my life, would I, and what would it be?

Rewrote, this last section, it was too negative: When I get sick, a dark evil twin takes over my body and I tend to focus on the negative things that have happened to me in my life. I deleted the first answer to number 2. Here is virtually the same answer but from a much healthier view point. Next time I get sick, I will not blog. But I will tell you.

In 1st grade I was switched from my left hand to my right effectively changing the way I learned. I struggled, but with the help of my mother I learned to read anyway. Yet, I can’t help but wonder, would I have more confidence if I hadn’t gone through that dark period of time?

3. Rule; choose six friends to give the award to.

This is the part that I hate. Why can’t I just give everybody the award? So I am going to break the rules. One, because I am still not feeling well and searching my blog list for six people is not doable today. Second, I try to find people with very few awards. I figure they could use an award. So if you don’t have more than three awards, copy The Cherry on Top award and be sure to leave a note in the comment section that you did. This way everyone can follow you to your blog.

Well…the fest are not really feasting except for my Halloween party. See details in a previous post titled, Halloween Party 2010.

The Boo-fest is hosted by the very same Quinn who gave me the Cherry on Top award. The Boo-fest button is under the flying witch. Go there to sign up or read the details or do both.

A new blog-fest hosted by Roh Morgon is Monster Mash…you get to take on a monster for a character and write from their perspective. The Monster Mash button is below the Boo-fest button. Unlike other fest, you get a whole week to post something.

So remember, if you grab the award, let us know in the comments section so we can follow you home.

17 comments:

Joanne said...

I've never understood why schools get away from a strong phonics background. I had it, as did my children, and it's given us a great grasp of the mechanics of spelling, and sound. I'm glad your mother stepped in and gave you those lessons.

N. R. Williams said...

Yes, and I in turn taught my children. The schools are going back to phonics now. Too late for many children.
Nancy

KK Brees said...

Hope you're soon feeling on top of the world. I'd like a cherry on top, please. I love ice cream sundaes. BTW, I was also a "turned leftie." That means to this day I do right-handed stuff backwards.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations and yes I know Quinn.

That sucks the teacher would force you to write with the wrong hand.

N. R. Williams said...

KK...glad you are accepting the cherry top award. I love the analogy about doing everything right-handed backwards.

Thanks Alex.

I appreciate you both leaving a comment.
Nancy

Unknown said...

Yeah. I can understand the pain. I was once considered borderline retarded [back in the days when retarded was considered PC}.

[Oh. I'm dyslexic, but the condition hadn't been discovered yet.]

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Moms know best. They really do...

Phonics is taught in our elementary schools here now.

Congratulations on the awards!

Anonymous said...

You have yet another award at my blog!

N. R. Williams said...

Kay, they labeled me dyslexic too, but it turned out that I was a learned dyslexic. Go figure.

Elizabeth, phonics are so critical to learning to read. At least in my humble opinion.

Oh dear, thank you so much gargimehra.

I appreciate everyone's comments.
Nancy

Lola Sharp said...

CONGRATS on your awards...and I hope you feel better.

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats :)

It's amazing what crazy misinterpretations & mistakes adults can make when working with kids! Glad you got it all figured out!

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations on the award! :)

Ann Best said...

Congratulations!

And thanks for stopping by and commenting on the colorful foliage in Minnesota versus dreary Colorado. This autumn is Virginia is not as colorful as it usually is--too much heat and not enough water this summer. Ah well. Fond memories of beautiful autumns.

Okay to break rules, I think, with awards, especially if you're sick. Hope you're feeling much better very soon!!!
Ann

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Lola, Jemi and Golden.

Well, Colorado really isn't deary, just different. Not as colorful in autumn as some eastern states. Thank you for your comment Ann.

Nancy

Bast said...

it aucks that adults often try to force kids into a box. It just makes some that wasn't a problem into a problem.

Anyway, hope you feel better.

Bast said...

That should have said it sucks. I'm typing this on my phone -- the keys are too small.

N. R. Williams said...

Thank you Quinn...for your thoughts and the award.
Nancy