Friday, March 1, 2024

WEP Get Together from Kindle Vella to E-book


Greetings, WEP'ers. I missed the first get together and I would have missed this one too, except a lightbulb hit my head. Haha.

So, what am I doing? Amazon now allows you to make an e-book of your Kindle Vella stories and also leave it on Vella at the same time. Well, they've been allowing that for some time now, I just didn't know it. Haha.

Therefore, I'm re-reading and making changes to Nilmalith's Journey. If you read The Treasures of Carmelidrium, Nilmalith makes his first appearance there. I loved the character so much, that he is in subsequent books and now has his own story. I'm writing the sequel to Nilmalith's Journey which will be titled, Nilmalith's Voyage. These are short stories. 

Let me just say, I'm a damn good writer. I rarely realize that. But I am. I told my husband, someone will feed my stories to AI when I'm gone. Haha. I don't think AI will become a living, breathing person afterwards, but at least it won't come back in time to murder anyone. 

So, that's my news. I've finished King Julian too and I'm still working on 5 Friends & Lovers. King Julian will become an e-book soon. When I'm satisfied, I'll remove the stories from Amazon and publish wide.

Here's to book series.

Nancy

If curious, here is the first chapter of Nilmalith's Journey.

Romans

                                                             Chapter 1

Nilmalith bent beneath the tall grass, peering forth as the foreign army marched across the land. Their gold-fringed red banner with strange writing, and the golden eagle statue perched on top was held by men in the lead. Each soldier had a shield, and heavy swords sheaved at their sides. Only their leaders were mounted on horseback.

Some of the human tribes sent peace envoys. Others tried to resist. A futile attempt against a much superior force. Many faerie folk had fled, especially when an entire ancient oak forest caught fire. Whether by man or nature, Nilmalith didnt know.

Keeping low, he backed up. Once he reached the woodland, he stood and ran toward his home, located deep inside the enchanted beech and birch trees that concealed the elfin community.

Ordinary sounds reached him. Those of birds, red squirrels, and rabbits. The high summer scents of flowers and green growing plants were offset by the musky scent of a fox. A brook lapped over rocks while otters played in the currents. He crossed, his feet barely sinking in the water. As evening approached, moonlight managed to glide between limbs laden with leaves and pooled at his feet.

He passed the magical wall that shimmered with elfin protections. A whistle gave notice of his arrival, and he approached the circle where dinner was being consumed by his fellow elves. The lutist stopped playing.

King Celéldur beckoned, and Queen Táwien stood. Nilmalith approached, giving them a deep bow and spreading his arms wide.

Come, Nilmalith, we shall speak in private,Táwien said and turned her back. The king stood at her side, and Nilmalith followed them both a little further into the forest and away from those gathered.

They stopped, and the king turned. Speak. What did you see?

Hundreds of men have arrived. They march north. The closet human villages are preparing for war.

Táwien turned toward her husband. Just as I have seen. We must leave before they discover us.

Where do we go?the king asked.

We should gather all the elfin folk near and far and meet in Caledonia. It is the furthest north and away from the coming battles.

Not much will come of it. Most will not heed your warning, my love.Celéldur frowned, and a shadow of foreboding shielded his green eyes.

You speak truly, and yet, we must try.Táwien turned back toward Nilmalith. Thank you for your report. Let us return to our meal. After which, Ill make an announcement.

*

Nilmalith found his cousin, Lyari, and sat beside him.

Did you see any wolves while out?Lyari asked.

Not a one.Nilmalith reached for a bowl of berries, sweet rolls, and duck cooked in butter, and poured a little sauce made with apple wine. He ate, famished from his spy mission, while his cousin continued to talk.

My new bow is finished, and Ive a mind to go hunting tomorrow for the white stag Eroan saw. Care to come?

Nilmalith gazed at him while still chewing. He took a sip of wine, but Lyari continued to talk.

Have you got your bow done? Well, no matter, use the old one.

Several of the elfin maids began to dance to the lute.

Ah, I see Meorise is dancing. She looks beautiful in the spring green dress.Lyari smiled, and Nilmalith wiped a little grease from his lips.

She does indeed. Have you chosen yet?he asked.

Lyari continued to watch. Not yet, either her or maybe Vianola. Its difficult to choose. What about you?

I wont wed just yet. Eternity is a long time to stay wed to a single female.Nilmalith said, pulling the sweet bread apart and popping a little in his mouth.

Good point. I may continue to sample for a time.

Nilmalith nodded. Elves enjoyed one another as often as their desires took them. Unlike men, who often contracted a fatal disease if they dallied too much and so married young. But men had short life spans, whereas elves could only die if pierced through their hearts. Once married, each couple had no more than two children and sometimes only one. Nilmalith was an only child, while Lyari had a sister. It wasnt that they couldnt have more, but elves were stewards of the forest and glens. They kept their numbers low out of respect for nature.

The queen stood, and everyone grew quiet, turning to listen to her.

It is as we feared,Táwien began. Tomorrow, we say farewell to our home. We will travel north, over fields and meadows. Over moors and mountains, across rivers and marshland. We go by moonlight, avoiding the human tribes. Those of the faraway lands have come to make war and concur.  To destroy our home.

I will need elves to travel to all our peoples in the south, east, west, and north. The time has come for the elfin people to hold council.

Well,Lyari said. There will be no hunting tomorrow or marriage feast either.

What I saw of these men is fierce. Our queen is wise,Nilmalith said. I will volunteer to travel and help gather our people.

Then, I shall join you,Lyari said. 

3 comments:

Yolanda Renée said...

Sorry about that, your link isn't taking folks to the post. Instead, folks see this: "Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist."

Congratulations on your success with Kindle Vella. I haven't had any luck, but I haven't put in any time or effort either. :)

I'm so glad you're feeling better! And writing up a storm. Thanks for sharing your first chapter. Have you ever considered entering the first chapter challenge? Here's the link: https://gutsygreatnovelist.com/chapter-oneprize/

Thanks for sharing your post!

N. R. Williams said...

Thanks Renee. I didn't know such a challenge existed. I'll check it out.
Nancy

H. R. Sinclair said...

That's awesome! And awesome first chapter.

PS: My blog feed has changed.