Monday, April 1, 2024

WEP's Bi-Monthly Get Together. What's Up?

 WEP's Bi-Monthly Get Together. What's Up?

Greetings to all you lovely people. I hope life is being good to you. Denise has asked me to share about my husband's recent health scare. I will do that, but I also want to talk about book covers.


Book Covers: Let's face it, we need them. We need our covers to stand out and to sell our books. I've had some pretty bad covers in the past, and I still have one that I hate. The Beginning of a Legend is located on the sidebar. I don't have money to hire a really good book cover designer. And now, the company I was using has gone out of business.  I started using them before Russia invaded Ukraine, and they were based in Ukraine. I was worried, but they continued to operate and I hoped they had moved to Poland, or something. But now they're gone and I left being worried about them and holding the bag.

So, what to do. I'm going to need a lot of book covers this year, because I've decided to do an elf series and a sweet romance series, plus I want to do a box set for my 4 book fantasy series. I remembered that I could hire help on Friiver, so I contacted them and have wasted two weeks trying to work with them. The problem is, that I need my Kindle Vella covers edited, and then I need new covers for Vella too. 

Well, I can't get my Dropbox link to load on the Friiver site. And the woman I'm trying to use is ignoring me. I contacted Friiver support and she is still ignoring me. 

So, I've decided to learn how to make my own using free tutorials on YouTube and Canva. I tried this before, but I found someone who does a much better job explaining the whole process. So far, I've learned how to use an existing cover on Canca and change it. And I was successful in up-loading from Dropbox. I'm working on the text, it's a learning process. I think it will probably take me at least a month which will delay the release of my books. But, once I get the hang of it, I'll be able to sell that service. Another plus.

Now for the old man. Before I tell you about his health scare you need to understand that I am a born-again Christian. What does that mean? In the gospels, Jesus tells Nicodemus that he must be born again. John: 3:1-21. Some of you are going to think immediately that I'm a nut and probably conservative. To those who assume so, I will remind you that Jimmy Carter is a Democrat, and he is born-again. I'm very liberal, probably because my life has been so hard. 

So, moving on from there. Mid-March, my husband had knee surgery. I asked for prayer from various sources. He sailed through that, spent the night in the hospital, and came home. This was a Monday. My desk is in our bedroom. He was taking a nap, and I came out of the bathroom and looked at him. His chest wasn't moving. I got worried, but I couldn't get the wheelchair on his side to check further. I waited about 15 min., and then I called out to him and woke him up. By that time he'd been sleeping for four hours. I was also praying because I was worried. 

I watch a lot of those near-death videos and someone described our prayers like shooting stars going up to heaven. I always visualize that now. 

Our nurse daughter came in and I told her his chest wasn't moving. She shrugged it off and said he was a light breather when he slept. Within half an hour, hubby was out in the living room and I was at my computer. I was still concerned, so I continued to pray. My daughter came in and said, there was something wrong. he couldn't catch his breath. She called 911, and I came out and waited for the paramedics to show up. 

When they came, they checked him and took him to the emergency room. We are an hour away from the hospital. So, I was worried about that the whole time. My daughter got updates on her phone and would come and tell me. The E.R. doctor couldn't find anything and planned to send my husband home, he told the doctor, "No you're not!" 

A nurse came in and checked his legs. She found blood clots. This isn't unusual after surgery and can kill you. So, hubby was admitted and put on medicine. We were told they would keep him, every day wishy-washy it was another day. Five days in all with wishy washy news.  I kept asking for prayers, and in my personal prayer, I asked the Lord Jesus to send an angel and heal him.

When he finally got home and I could talk to him, he told me that one night someone tapped his shoulder. It woke him up and when he looked, no one was there. I said that was an angel healing you. 

I have always loved the Lord Jesus. My mother told me when I was two or three, that Jesus was a person I could talk to. I did. I sang songs to Him. I played with Him. And I talked to Him all the time. He is very real to me. It is normal for a Christian to hear God's voice, and I do hear Him.

So, that's my news.

Nancy

2 comments:

H. R. Sinclair said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for the scare! Wow. I'm glad he came through it--and you too. Good health vibes coming your way.
---
I hear you on the covers. It's tough. I'm working on mine now too. So many things to consider. It's nail biting, isn't it. I wish you the very best of luck!

--
My blog has moved, you can find it here: https://iamhrsinclair.com/blog

--

Oh my, it look like I never hit publish your comment! It's been behind my tabs!

N. R. Williams said...

Hi there. Thanks or coming and reading, and the link.
Nancy